This past week, I was having what I thought was a string of bad luck. I went on vacation and had all sorts of problems with my car battery. I suspected it was something simple but feared it could be something much more major. We kept needing to jump start the car. I even had one of those portable jump starting devices, but it wouldn’t do the job. Also, while on vacation, I did a photo shoot and things did not go so well. I made a lot of poor choices during the shoot and the pictures were not coming out good at all. Then, after the shoot, I accidentally deleted all of my pictures from my memory card. Then, to compound my stupidity, instead of remembering that I could still recover the pictures from the memory card if I did not put any new files on the card, I put a ton of new files on the card. Add to that the fact that I tripped during the photo shoot and nearly broke my camera, myself, and my sunglasses. Hopefully you can see why I was starting to worry if I was cursed or something. Soon after I got home, even more problems cropped up. I just couldn’t believe what was happening. Was I in the middle of a string of bad luck?
Well, the answer is NO. Before I say why, I am a bit proud of myself (pat myself on the back) that I took all of these events pretty well. I didn’t freak out or get upset or angry. I did get a little disappointed at myself for not being on my A game during the photo shoot, but it was all good. Here’s why:
- First, right after I deleted all of the photos, my model offered to redo the same shoot the next day, but instead, I asked her if she would do a shoot at another location back home. She agreed. This shoot went great and I got far better pictures than I ever could have gotten from the first location.
- Second, my model agreed to do a second shoot with me while I was on vacation. I got some nice and unique pictures from that shoot. I like them a lot better than the first shoot.
- Oh, third, I was able to recover all of the pictures from the first shoot when I got home, so I didn’t lose anything. So, instead of one shoot, I got three and each subsequent shoot got better.
- Fourth, my car made it home OK, even though the battery was shot and I have since replaced it. Also, every time we needed a jump start, we were either traveling with another car or we just happened to run into someone we knew in the middle of Las Vegas.
- Fifth, all of the bad stuff that happened after I got home resolved itself and everything is great.
- Sixth, because I didn’t let the string of seemingly bad luck get to me, I was able to continue having a great vacation and ended up with some great memories.
So, don’t freak out because it makes things worse and remember, IT IS ALL GOOD.